- Magliano in Toscana
Magliano in Toscana
An ancient town known in Roman times as Heba. The debate is still open as to its origins which some maintain to be Etruscan and other historians say that it was founded by the Romans. Whatever the truth is it gained importance when around the year 900 the Aldobrandeschi family of Sovana had town walls built which are still in good condition. The churches of San Martino and San Bruzio were built in the same period (1100-1200).
About two centuries later, Magliano passed under Sienese rule and in this period the imposing towers were added to the walls. They were built in 1400 by an architect from Bibbiena. Finally in 1555 after Siena fell to the Spanish, the village was ceded to the Medici and administered as an estate of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. Following the law that abolished all the Grand Duchy estates, the history of the village went hand in hand with that of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany and later of Italy.
Below our selection of farmholidays, villas and apartments close to Magliano in Toscana: